Tuesday, October 7, 2008

THE FIRST LETTER




Okay for all you moms who have already sent out a missionary it's official"We are crazy". When Marc brought in the mail I chased him around the house trying to grab the letter from him. He wouldn't give it to me but did let me sit on his lap so I could read it while he did. I thought I would die waiting for it. It has only been a week but it seems like a year that he has been gone. Even Mason at the table keeps commenting on how weird, quiet, lonely our house is without our fearless stud brother. I knew I would miss him but seriously everyday. Don't worry all my letters to him are encouraging and uplifting. I feel encouraged and uplifted myself with the spirit which is the only way I am handling this. So when you ask me how I'm doing if my answer is anything but "dying inside" know that I am lying. I hear it gets better. For those of you who haven't sent your sons yet- love them and -hug them and -kiss them even if they push you away. I am so grateful for this chance to let the Lord have my son for two years but know that I am also grateful for a testimony that lets me do so. I love this gospel and conference was of course exactly perfect for me. As President Monson admonished, I am living for today and cherishing this chance to have a son serving a mission but when the next 720 tomorrows are over there will be a major party at Southwick!!!
Okay for all of you who care- here is the condensed version of the letter.
His companion didn't arrive until 7 pm the first night so he was totally freaked out. His companion is like a physicist so Jordan's not sure they will hang out on the gym floor together but he says and I quote "I love him so much already" He said he walked around the first day and couldn't quit smiling all day. He had heard the second day was the hardest but he is a pretty happy guy so I'm betting he walks around for 2 months with a big smile on his face. He addressed our letter "Dear Familia" and said gracias so he thinks he is an expert at the language. I do pray every day that he will have the blessings promised to him in his Patriarchal blessing regarding his ability to learn things. He had only two minutes to write us as he still needed to read his scriptures. He also asked for the little game things to remember Scripture Mastery. Life is GOOD!

6 comments:

Kathi said...

I can just see you and Marc running around the house with Jordan's letter. I am so excited for your family to have a missionary out. You will not believe the blessings the Lord will see fit to pour on you. I'll keep Jordan in my prayers

Dean and Maryellen said...

I remeber our first missionnary out very well. I cried everyday for many months. Then it stoppded. I waiteded patiently for each letter. Thanks for sharing. This too shall pass, so enjoy his experience.
love mom

The Panero Family said...

Ah mom you made me cry again. I was going on two days without the tears...still what a brother to call my own. In fact Talia called him her brother today, "Thats my brother" that is what made me cry.

Jaime said...

I am so glad he is loving it. I look forward to my sons serving our Father in Heaven but I don't look forward to the emptiness I will feel while they are gone. Tell him we love him. I will try to sit my butt down this week and write!

Heidi and Rich said...

You are too cute. I love how you and Marc are together. I am glad that Jordan is doing good. Oh and he is rocking the language (I am sure of it). We had to offer our prayers in Spanish (no matter how choppy they were) from the first day. The MTC is awesome and I have heard that Oct. - Dec. is a great time to be there. I emailed him through dear elder (they print it off and deliver it to him the same day). Be sure and tell him that he doesn't need to write everyone back. You will do an awesome job of keeping us all informed so he needs to feel no pressure on his end!!!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

How exciting. What a great missionary! I too LOVED the MTC (as a student & teacher). There is something invigorating about everyone preparing for the same divine purpose!

****

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Mt. Whitney

Mt. Whitney
Two Men Conquer the Mountain

The Family

The Family
Sun-kissed and oh so happy at Leo Carillo! Our Easter tradition for 20 years and we couldn't be in a better place. Life is all about family and I feel so blessed to have the children and husband that I have.

Jordan at Bass Lake

Jordan at Bass Lake
He thinks he's pretty awesome...

Dad and his other boys

Dad and his other boys
Coach Urmston pumping up the boys before they break two Area records.

Nicole and Courtney

Nicole and Courtney
Happy Birthday to Harry Potter! Candice threw a great bash for Harry's birthday - We should llive at Hogwarts.

Lo-dawg

Lo-dawg
Logan and Buddha are hardcore.

Mommy and Talia

Mommy and Talia
Wake up, Mommy. Yee-haw, yee-haw!

Talia and Candice

Talia and Candice
Rollin'

Melanie

Melanie
Bo Derek building sandcastles.

Marky Marc

Marky Marc
On his way to China.

Incredibles

Incredibles
Doesn't get any better than this!