Monday, September 29, 2008

To the Fathers (and Mothers)

I know not too many fathers read these blogs, but I am sure you will hear about this or your wife will have you read this. I hope this helps. One of my best friends left today to serve the Lord for two years. It is my son, but he has been one of my greatest friend to. See I was where most of you are right now. I had young sons and watching them play football or baseball and complaining that they don't get to play or the coach is dumb. When it doesn't matter, your sons(and daughters) just want you there. They want to look over and see you there cheering them on. They want to see you after the game and they want you to tell them they are the greatest. It doesn't matter if they were or weren't, they want to hear it from you. Take the time to take them to get an ice cream or dinner, don't take it home, sit there and talk to them. They will never remember the game, but they always, I mean always, remember the food and time with you. Also, do not let a day go by that you do not tell them you love them. Yes, they are boys, but if you can't tell them when their young, you won't be able, like I did today, to put your arms around your friend(son) and say to them "I am proud of you and I love You. Please don't let a day go by, because you have work or a meeting or your tired, because gentlemen, my sons life just passed me by in one long goodbye, as I watched him get on a plane to serve the Lord. Yesterday we were learning to play catch and today he is a man. I know that this might be dumb to you now, but today I need to tell you that it is real. Time will pass you by and you do not want to have any regrets. The video shows how fast he grows and you're gonna miss this. Let me add I cherish my daughters and that is a whole different story, and they taught me all about love and how important it is to have and show emotion. So my boys truly were lucky to have older sisters. And now my plea to the fathers "Your gonna miss this" the time will fly by and nothing, NOTHING is more important than the love of your boys (word and deed). All taught to me by very loving daughters. Tears will come and tears will go, but love will last forever!

6 comments:

Jonesy said...

Wow - thanks for sharing ! What a touching tribute to your son. And what great advice for all of us whose little boys seem miles from this huge step in their lives. I guess it will be here before we know it huh ? Thanks again !

Anonymous said...

Thanks Uncle Marc! I am trying harder to enjoy the journey and live in the moment - rather then wish they were older and more independent!

Eliza said...

I shouldn't have read this while getting ready for work. Tears were flowing. Congratulations to you all. You have raised a worthy boy. I know he will continue to make you proud. Now I have to go hug my boy...

SAS said...

I think I have to quit reading your family page. I am sick of crying everytime I open it. We love you guys, look up to you and your son is very important around here! Thanks again for raising such a cool kid for my guys to look up to! He is amazing.

Heidi and Rich said...

That was a great reminder from one of the best dads around. I have always admired you and your love for your kids. Good luck with this new phase in life...he will be such an awesome missionary.

Shelly said...

Hear, hear! Well, said, Marc. Great advice that I'll send my boys over to read, since two of them now have sons of their own! Having a missionary is awesome! Keep us updated.

****

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Mt. Whitney

Mt. Whitney
Two Men Conquer the Mountain

The Family

The Family
Sun-kissed and oh so happy at Leo Carillo! Our Easter tradition for 20 years and we couldn't be in a better place. Life is all about family and I feel so blessed to have the children and husband that I have.

Jordan at Bass Lake

Jordan at Bass Lake
He thinks he's pretty awesome...

Dad and his other boys

Dad and his other boys
Coach Urmston pumping up the boys before they break two Area records.

Nicole and Courtney

Nicole and Courtney
Happy Birthday to Harry Potter! Candice threw a great bash for Harry's birthday - We should llive at Hogwarts.

Lo-dawg

Lo-dawg
Logan and Buddha are hardcore.

Mommy and Talia

Mommy and Talia
Wake up, Mommy. Yee-haw, yee-haw!

Talia and Candice

Talia and Candice
Rollin'

Melanie

Melanie
Bo Derek building sandcastles.

Marky Marc

Marky Marc
On his way to China.

Incredibles

Incredibles
Doesn't get any better than this!