Saturday, September 5, 2009

Today Marc and I went to a memorial service for Debbie Austin. She was the youngest in a family of 10. We knew her as a bundle of energy willing to offer her opinions as well as her love. As I listened to her family share thoughts and memories of growing up in a large family I was overcome with memories from my own life.
I thought of the time when I was only 4 or 5 and I was feeling left out in a house filled with teenagers. I was sitting under a chair in the dining room of our California house. My big sister Susan came to find me and comforted me while the house was filled with her own friends. She told me she would always be there for me and she was.
I remembered my sixteenth birthday when my sisters Teresa and Shelly planned a surprise birthday party for me at our cabin. My friends were hiding in the playhouse out back. They were both at busy times in their lives but took the time to make a spoiled little sister feel loved and adored. I also remember that my sister Teresa didn't kill me when I wore her beautiful red leather "soft as butter" shoes and ruined them. I don't know where I wore them or what I did but I know that somehow somewhere I did in fact ruin them.
I think of a small arrangement of flowers sent to me by my sister Dayna (Steve's wife) when my friend Melanie died and I thought my heart would burst. They were in law school and I am sure that a floral arrangement was not in the budget but it truly soothed my heart to know that they would know I was hurting.
I remembered driving to deliver treats to football players while my mom came up with clever verses and rhymes, all the while laughing at our clever selves.
I thought of my Aunt Beth and her stories she would tell us during the time she spent living at our house and her famous BINGO games as well as her books filled with stories about nurses.
I really have a horrible memory and can hardly remember anything about my childhood. When we have reunions and everyone reminisces, I wonder "where was I?" since I don't remember most of the things they are talking about. It was nice to have my mind opened and feel the love of my older sisters. I feel grateful to have sisters that I was able to look up to growing up who had the patience to deal with their little sister. I had a wonderful childhood and am grateful to not only be blessed with the family that the Lord sent me to but that I was able to marry into a family that I would choose to spend eternity with. Life is good and I am so grateful that I am able to have my children with me - and my heart aches for my friends the Austins who have wonderful memories of their sweet daughter and would choose to continue making more memories that include her. But that was not part of the plan. Sister Austin is an example of everything wonderful, graceful, and strong that embodies motherhood. She was a hero in my book today as I watched her countenance shine with love for a daughter that left too soon.

4 comments:

American Mom said...

I am lucky to have strong women in my family who have set the bar high with their example and faith -and are always there to help and strengthen one another! I love you Aunt Linda!! Thanks for the reminder that our Family is Forever and hey, that's not a bad thing :)

Renée said...

Great post Linda. Thanks for reminding me of my blessings once again.

Jensen's Funny Farm said...

Your post made me cry. I was soooo mean to my younger brothers and sisters that I don't think they have good memories of me, but I hope as the years have gone by, I have made up for it in some small way. I have good memories of them, all 7. I thankful to have parents who fully supported me then and still. I feel for your friends and their loss, yet know she is in a much better place. I tried to cally ou tonight, but your home # didn't work and your cell phone never went through. Just thought I'd chat and catch up. I also wanted Nicole's #, I haven't talked to her for forever!! Hugs and Kisses to you all!!Love, Angie

JOY said...

I'm glad I have sweet sisters like you Linda when my own sister is far away! Luv YA!

****

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Mt. Whitney

Mt. Whitney
Two Men Conquer the Mountain

The Family

The Family
Sun-kissed and oh so happy at Leo Carillo! Our Easter tradition for 20 years and we couldn't be in a better place. Life is all about family and I feel so blessed to have the children and husband that I have.

Jordan at Bass Lake

Jordan at Bass Lake
He thinks he's pretty awesome...

Dad and his other boys

Dad and his other boys
Coach Urmston pumping up the boys before they break two Area records.

Nicole and Courtney

Nicole and Courtney
Happy Birthday to Harry Potter! Candice threw a great bash for Harry's birthday - We should llive at Hogwarts.

Lo-dawg

Lo-dawg
Logan and Buddha are hardcore.

Mommy and Talia

Mommy and Talia
Wake up, Mommy. Yee-haw, yee-haw!

Talia and Candice

Talia and Candice
Rollin'

Melanie

Melanie
Bo Derek building sandcastles.

Marky Marc

Marky Marc
On his way to China.

Incredibles

Incredibles
Doesn't get any better than this!