Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mother's Day Already


"This picture is titled
"Mother of Seven"
I know I look happier than this."

I was having a conversation with my friend Sandi while driving home from a ward conference. We were sharing our thoughts on Mother's Day. Mother's Day does not make the top five holiday list. I would just as soon skip it (well now that I have a missionary and he gets to call home on Mother's Day it has moved out of the trash can to maybe my favorite holiday) My husband and kids do a great job of making me feel loved, it is just that as I relect on some 28 years of mothering I find myself lacking. Wishing I had done some things differently and hoping for the patience to make it through the mothering years that still lie ahead (seriously eternity). I had such a list of things I was going to do when I became a mother. I would read to my children, I would teach them tolerance, I would show them happiness, they would all play the piano, we would memorize scriptures in a happy loving way, we would eat homemade healthy dinners. The list is endless and I tried, but I wish I could go back and do more, say more, love more, and most of all laugh more. But I don't know if I would find the energy to do things much differently. Maybe my list should have started with find good drugs =} I was reading though and came across this great quote. I hope someting in it helps you find joy
Mothers,
“Yours is the work of salvation, and therefore you will be magnified, compensated, made more than you are and better than you have ever been as you try to make honest effort, however feeble you may sometimes feel that to be. …Do the best you can through these years, but whatever else you do, cherish that role that is so uniquely yours and for which heaven itself sends angels to watch over you and your little ones….The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you…. If you strive to love God, if you try your best to be the best parent you can be, you will have done all that a human being can do and all that God expects you to do….Remember, remember all the days of your motherhood: ‘Ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.’ Rely on Him. Rely on Him heavily. Rely on Him forever. And ‘press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope.’ You are doing God’s work.”Jeffrey R. Holland, “Because She Is a Mother,” Ensign, May 1997
Keep trying your best and know that there truly are angels watching over you, wanting to help you be the parent you want to be. Happy May to all the wonderful mothers and to all the mothers who want to be wonderful!

4 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

Thank you!! As I was reading this, it was to the lovely sounds of a 8 and 10 year old, fighting and throwing things, all while they were supposed to be going to bed : )

Leslie said...

Linda, Linda. J. Holland is a favorite. A vivid memory for me. Wyatt had just been born in February and I remember listening to his talk and just crying. Thanks. Love, love Jordans letters. Wow. And Masons p picutre was so cute. Loved the suit. Can we go thrifting with you and find one for Coop for next year!! See you so soon.

Dean and Maryellen said...

Hindsite is always 20/20 but we have to live through it to get there. We do what we do and pray for help along the way. Being a mother is a special gift from God. He does trust us with his wonderful spirit children and you are doing a great job. Mothers Day gets better with time. Look forward to the call.
love you, mom

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

That is a perfect quote! I need to remember the angels are there. I don't know how anyone tries to parent without relying on the Savior. This job is beyond me, so thank you for the reminder to look to Him. You are a great example of motherhood. You have always had such amazing patience!

****

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Mt. Whitney

Mt. Whitney
Two Men Conquer the Mountain

The Family

The Family
Sun-kissed and oh so happy at Leo Carillo! Our Easter tradition for 20 years and we couldn't be in a better place. Life is all about family and I feel so blessed to have the children and husband that I have.

Jordan at Bass Lake

Jordan at Bass Lake
He thinks he's pretty awesome...

Dad and his other boys

Dad and his other boys
Coach Urmston pumping up the boys before they break two Area records.

Nicole and Courtney

Nicole and Courtney
Happy Birthday to Harry Potter! Candice threw a great bash for Harry's birthday - We should llive at Hogwarts.

Lo-dawg

Lo-dawg
Logan and Buddha are hardcore.

Mommy and Talia

Mommy and Talia
Wake up, Mommy. Yee-haw, yee-haw!

Talia and Candice

Talia and Candice
Rollin'

Melanie

Melanie
Bo Derek building sandcastles.

Marky Marc

Marky Marc
On his way to China.

Incredibles

Incredibles
Doesn't get any better than this!