Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Why I am grateful for the job of mother. I have to admit that Mother's Day is not my favorite Sunday of the year. I love being a mother, I just don't want an entire day to reflect on it. Once you start reflecting it automatically becomes a day of judging oneself against an impossible standard of perfection. I look at others around me and wish I was more like them. So here goes my list of mother traits I admire in women around me. I wish I was more like Abby Taylor as a grandma. She always is patient and selfless while we are camping at the beach and I don't think I have ever seen her snap at her grandchildren. I wish I was more like Elaine in working with my kid's homework. I am pretty much at the point of handling the deficiencies when they come with a week of grounding. I wish I dressed like the mom Stephanie. She always looks put together-like a mom-but not frumpy. I wish my house was a clean as Jaime's. I wish I could put together a meal like Jill. Her food is always delicious and the atmosphere inviting. I wish I acould accomplish as much in a day as Amy. Her plate is full and somehow she gets it done. I wish I had the patience of Jessica. She is soft spoken but has the ability to have her kids do things. I wish I had the passion to do things like Leslie. She jumps into projects with her all. I wish I had the ability to get my kids to do things like Maryellen. Her sons will do anything for her and it is something all the wives of the sons are amazed at. She raised some awfully fine children. I wish I had the wisdom of Linda Reed as a mother. She is amazing and she has always been one of the women I want to be when I grow up. I wish I had the positive outlook through my trials like Kathy McKeon. She finds a blessing in every situation and knows all things are for her growth. She acknowledges Heavenly Father and his plan in every situation. I wish I had the ability to laugh at things like Sara Seaney and not be so serious about things that will soon pass. I wish I had the organized home of Joy Rodriguez. It is her gift and she does it well. I wish I had the faith in all things like Michelle Lord. She has taught me so many lessons throughout the years and I love her for that. I could go on for pages so if you find yourself needing an injection of mother love, just ask for a comment and I will fill you up on what trait you shine as in the mother division.
I am grateful for my mother and the many lessons she has taught me. Not all the lessons she taught did I learn but she is a worker like no one I know. I am grateful for my older sisters and all the mothering they did for me throughout my childhood which I haven't grown out of in some ways.
I am grateful to my husband for all the mothering he does to our children. I am so overwhelmed with the task of mothering I am grateful for him stepping in to catch me the many times I fall.
Mostly I am grateful for my chldren and their patience with me as I stumble through this experince of mothering. I am learning as I go and everyday some new thing challenges me. I try to do this job as my Heavenly Father would want me to.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

i love you mom. I miss you so much and wish i was there with you. Thanks so much for everything you do for me and our family. You are a great mother to everyone. I love you.

Jaime said...

Linda I just have to say you are a mom like no other. I have always admired the way your children are very obedient and show such love for you. I hope that my children will follow from their examples.

SAS said...

Funny to see my name on yur list! Funny I would think it is funny!

Really I hope I don't laugh too much--I just can't help it I'm a little cracked up.

You are a mother I definantly admire. Jordan's talk was a wonderful tribute and I found myself wondering if my boys will ever publically say anything near that about me. The tears held back at the end were especially touching. Thanks for raising such fine boys for mine to look up to!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a GREAT example to me. I often recall memories of you in our home when it was just Nicole and Candice - so many fun times. I am lucky to call you my aunt, but more importantly my friend! Crap, I'm crying.

****

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Mt. Whitney

Mt. Whitney
Two Men Conquer the Mountain

The Family

The Family
Sun-kissed and oh so happy at Leo Carillo! Our Easter tradition for 20 years and we couldn't be in a better place. Life is all about family and I feel so blessed to have the children and husband that I have.

Jordan at Bass Lake

Jordan at Bass Lake
He thinks he's pretty awesome...

Dad and his other boys

Dad and his other boys
Coach Urmston pumping up the boys before they break two Area records.

Nicole and Courtney

Nicole and Courtney
Happy Birthday to Harry Potter! Candice threw a great bash for Harry's birthday - We should llive at Hogwarts.

Lo-dawg

Lo-dawg
Logan and Buddha are hardcore.

Mommy and Talia

Mommy and Talia
Wake up, Mommy. Yee-haw, yee-haw!

Talia and Candice

Talia and Candice
Rollin'

Melanie

Melanie
Bo Derek building sandcastles.

Marky Marc

Marky Marc
On his way to China.

Incredibles

Incredibles
Doesn't get any better than this!